Wednesday 10 December 2014

Marriage Counseling: Lessons from an Allegory Part 1 of 2


The following story has been told by Marriage Counseling Fort Myers Fl. In Arabia many years ago there lived a rich, Bedouinsheik who owned 17camels. He had three sons of 20, 19 and 12 years of age.  Because the sheik was advanced in years and realized that his days were numbered, he made a last will and testament.  It read, in part, “I will that my oldest son shall inherit 1/2 of my camels as he will have to be responsible for all our clan.  My middle son, who will serve as his brother’s assistant, shall receive 1/3 of my camels. My youngest son is still a child and the older sons will have to care for him; nevertheless he shall get 1/9 of my camels. A short time later, the father died.

The difficulty the sons had in carrying out their father’s wishes was that he left 17 camels. Marriage Counseling Estero FL asked, how would they make the division?  After discussing the matter at length to no avail, they went to a judge for a decision.  The judge suggested that the sons sell all camels and split the money. But the oldest son said, “I will respect the will of my father who did not want us to sell our inheritance.  The judge said to the sons, “why don't you rent your camels to a merchant and share what he will pay. This way you keep the property and have an income that you can share in the ordered splitting.”  But the second son objected and said, “I am a merchant myself I need my camels for my work.”  The judge grew impatient and said to the sons, “the only solution, then, will be for you to slaughter the camels and eat or sell their meat. But the youngest son started to weep.  He said, “I have grown  up with the camels, I love each one of them. They must not die.”  The judge was frustrated by the dilemma and said, “your case cannot be solved by law.”   Such dilemmas occur on a regular basis when working with couples in conflict notes Marriage Counseling Naples FL.


Dr. Ken Newberger, who holds a PhD in Conflict Analysis and Resolution understands the seemingly intractable situations in which couples find themselves.  If you find yourself in a difficult marital situation and nothing has so far has worked to alleviate it, he may be of real help to you.  View his website to see the process he uses when working with couples.  Go to MarriageCounselingAlt.com or call him directly at 239-689-4266.  If you live in Southwest Florida, he is office is conveniently located between Fort Myers and Naples.  He can also assist you online if you live outside the area.  Call him today.  He stands ready to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment